Thursday, May 14, 2009

5. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - The Smashing, 1995 Pumpkins (Best of the 90s)









Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

The Smashing Pumpkins
Virgin Records.


Some day I might get back to this album. I’ll dig through Rubbermaid containers dedicated to records of the past, reminisce about teenage days I’d prefer to keep airtight, meaningless, and bring Mellon Collie… back from my parent’s basement for a real review. Lord knows it deserves some sort of status in my apartment album-hierarchy. This was the double-tape I treated like a leather-bound bible but wore through with repeated listens and broke anyway. A double-album I listened to nearly exclusively between 1995 and 1997, I recall each of the mammoth’s 28 songs at one point became my favourite… with the exception of ‘Take Me Down’, which I always found a kind of humorous exclusion (really… just one song?). Perhaps the only record I’ve ever purchased twice for myself, vindicating the broken cassette with the double CD. Some day I’ll try to review this… the most influential album of my adolescence.

No comments: