Saturday, August 15, 2009

S/T - LCD Soundsystem (So Long, Ruins! II)












LCD Soundsystem

LCD Soundsystem
DFA Records.

SCQ Rating: 65%

Hipsters unite! Indeed, LCD Soundsystem’s full-length debut thrilled the pants off most critics and dance-rock ready fans and even though I thought the poorly named genre-hybrid had already been perfected with The Rapture’s debut two years earlier, I didn’t want to miss out. ‘Daft Punk is Playing in my House’ won me over instinctively, while more creative excursions like ‘Disco Infiltrator’ and ‘On Repeat’ gave this self-titled effort some contingency singles. Yet proceedings are worn down by variety – what should be a good thing – in the form of lazy post-punk (‘Movement’) and a lazier Beatles homage (‘Never As Tired As When I’m Waking Up’). Instead of flexing Murphy’s songwriting muscle, these black-sheep tracks reflect just how lost Murphy was between real authorship and cloying parody.

The second disc is a generous selection of previously available 7” and 12” cuts, including the unreasonably popular ‘Losing My Edge’ and the much better ‘Yr City’s a Sucker’. Still, the disc is nearly impossible to get through with club tracks that barely transform and varied versions of the same tracks. Giving this debut up would be easy had I realized that James Murphy’s ironic sensibilities were simply beyond me… but Sound of Silver was among my favourite albums of 2007, which makes me return to this double-album often with false hope. No more!

No comments: