Sunday, December 14, 2008

#9 Album of 2008: Let the Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel - Atlas Sound






Let the Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel

Atlas Sound
Kranky Records.



Bradford Cox’s debut as Atlas Sound has likely occupied each of my top ten’s positions since its late February release. In fact, Let the Blind Heal… spent the majority of 2008 hovering between the #2 and #3 positions until a glance at my I-Tunes history one day revealed how seldom I actually listen to it. What the hell? If I love Atlas Sound so much, how come I never listen to his music?!?

Although Let the Blind Heal… is my only true document of Cox’s passionate bedroom drones, much of my listening was spent hopscotch-jumping from various free EPs and downloads from his blog. Had Atlas Sound’s debut been compiled of the best from both this record and his independent, digital releases, I can swear without hesitation that such an album would sit miles above all others on this list. As it stands, however, Let the Blind Heal… is merely wonderful; an isolated excursion caught between bitter-cold trauma and cozy remission. While Cox’s lack of patience makes his debut less brilliant than it could’ve been, his overall output is more than enough to make him SCQ’s Artist of the Year.

No comments: