Sunday, December 14, 2008

SCQ's Top 20 Albums of 2008



Let this be the sum of all expectations, hype, endurance and talent: SCQ's second (official) annual Top 20 Albums of the Year. 2008 has been a year of surprises, beginning under the humble guise of what I deemed a "hangover year" (due to the nonstop barrage of great 07 releases) but flourishing thanks to some intentionally sudden album drops and several new artists who hijacked my stereo when I wasn't paying attention.

To illustrate just how difficult accumulating this Top Albums list was, the final spot, my #20, was the last to be chosen from a shortlist of eleven records I couldn't settle between. That isn't to say that 2008 presented me with the best music I've ever heard, nor that this list was by far the most difficult to concrete (that honour goes to SCQ's Top 50 Songs of 2008). Simply, 2008 was a year of endless discoveries, a few of which have found their way into the SCQ Palace of Acclaim... a place so much cooler than any Hall of Fame.

Although the past few months have delivered albums that made this list especially fun and agonizing to manage, I'm happy to be through with it. With Christmas around the corner and several real-time responsibilities to meet, I can't deny how wonderful it'll be to return to SCQ in the untouched new year when I've nothing to consider but an empty chasm to clutter and decorate with the best that 2009 has in store. I might toss a few new posts in between now and then, but man, is it ever great to end the year where you want to be...

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!!

Love SCQ.

7 comments:

cgreen said...

At years end I have reevaluated all I have discovered in music this past year, but today I pulled a yellow piece of paper from the pocket of last nights beer soaked pants. The paper folded carelessly into my pocket, provided me with a clearly written URL. I went down to the computer, typed it in and began reading. With all the terrific music I heard this past year; SCQ is now the top find for me in 2008. Well on ya!

SCQ said...

Thanks for the props, CG; I hope you find some new bands here! I dig your perspective on the Conor Oberst record... it came dangerously close to my Top 20.

On that note, feel free to include your own Top Albums list into the comments here. I'll be adding a few lists from other friends in the coming days.

Anonymous said...

Zangief AKA Shane's Top 10 Albums of 2008

(in no particular order)

*TV on the Radio - Dear Science
*Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
*Deerhunter - Microcastle
*Neil Young - Sugar Mountain: Live at Canterbury House 1968
*Shearwater - Rook
*Electric President - Sleep Well
*Sigur Ros - með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust
*Mount Eerie - Lost Wisdom
*Sun Kil Moon - April
*Girltalk - Feed the Animals

Anonymous said...

These aren't in particular order, probably goes...

Intimacy - Bloc Party
Cardinology - Ryan Adams
Conor Oberst - Conor Oberst
Sat. Nights/Sun. Mornings - Counting Crows
Terminal Romance - Matt Mays
Narrow Stairs - Death Cab

... but maybe not, it changes as the wind blows. I do know that death is last and bloc party is first.

Anonymous said...

Here are a few of my top albums of 2008!

1. Matt Mays & El Torpedo- Terminal Romance
2. Ryan Adams- Cardinology
3. Conor Oberst
4. MGMT- Oracular Spectacular
5. Wolf Parade- At Mount Zoomer

Anonymous said...

1. Bloc Party - Intimacy
2. Panic at the Disco - Pretty. Odd.
3. The Academy Is... - Fast Times at Barrington High
4. Death Cab - Narrow Stairs
5. Phantom Planet - Raise The Dead

Anonymous said...

ok, here is goes..
to the best of my ability, although i still dont feel 100% sure of the order.

1. Bloc Party- Intimacy
2. José González- In Our Nature
3. Passion Pit- Chunk of Change
4. Iron and Wine- The Shepherd's Dog
5. Crystal Castles- Crystal Castles
6. Animal Collective- Water Curses EP
7. Electric President- Sleep Well
8. Bishop Allen- The Broken String
9. Cut Copy- In Ghost Colours
10. Bob Mould- District Line
11. Death Cab for Cutie- Narrow Stairs
12. Quiet Village- Silent Movie
13. M83- Saturday = Youth
14. Hercules and Love Affair- Hercules and Love Affair
15. Matthew Dear- Asa Breed Black Edition
16. Jakob Dylan- Seeing Things
17. Matt Mays & El Torpedo- Terminal Romance
18. Ryan Adams & The Cardinals- Cardinology
19. Bonnie “Prince” Billy- Lie Down in the Light
20. Margot & The Nuclear So and So's- Not Animal

Honourable Mentions:
Connor Obest- Connor Obest
Coldplay- Viva La Vida