Tuesday, December 21, 2010

#27 Album Of 2010: The Creatures In the Garden Of Lady Walton - Clogs









The Creatures In the Garden Of Lady Walton

Clogs
Brassland Records.

Original SCQ Review

I’m sure I wasn’t the only one streaming The Creatures In the Garden Of Lady Walton on Spinner in mid March and lacking the words to describe how I felt about it. Initial turn-offs included Shara Worden’s beautiful vocals, which rung as polarizing to someone lacking classical sensibilities, and the record’s concept, which was difficult to overlook even if you neglected its details. Yet its quiet brass humming over those National-esque guitar-progressions, dipped in morning dew, and special-guest vocalists (Matt Berninger, Sufjan Stevens, and eventually, Shara Worden) kept me enraptured.

Now I couldn’t omit a single track or contribution. The concept remains a vague one but intentionally on my part, as every orchestral lull and climax exists to score my own headphone-daydream… where the lives and loves of thicketed creatures not only parallels our own, but can be even more breathtaking.


No comments: