Tuesday, December 14, 2010

MillionYoung (SCQ's Year-End Questionnaire Part IV)


Many consider the Florida native to be hot on the heels of bedroom success-stories like Washed Out and Toro Y Moi but, as far as SCQ is concerned, MillionYoung (AKA Mike Diaz) seems poised to outrank the competition. He’s already on pace thanks to his stellar Be So True EP and with the release of Replicants just around the corner, 2011 looks full of promise for Mr. Diaz.

SCQ: Every list-lover's favourite question: what are your top albums of 2010? Feel free to include any older yet worthy records you discovered this year.

MD: 5. Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Before Today, 4. Curren$y - Pilot Talk, 3. Tame Impala - Innerspeaker, 2. Wild Nothing - Gemini, 1. Radio Dept - Clinging to a Scheme

SCQ: What were you listening to a lot of while recording the excellent Be So True EP?

MD: It's tough to pin point because a couple of the songs were written almost a year before the others, but I know for a good amount of it I was listening to a lot of New Order and Teengirl Fantasy.

SCQ: Be cocky for once in your life: what was the finest thing you did all year? That moment where you actually thought "shit, I nailed that..."?

MD: Haha, well I started out the year playing solo, and over the last few months a few of my friends have joined me to play live on different tours. I've been really excited about how well it's worked out, and how on point everyone was when it came to not just learning the songs, but adding a little of themselves to the live versions as well. The songs come to life the way they were meant to now. The transition wasn't something "I" did, but something "Millionyoung" nailed thanks to all my friends.

SCQ: Effect and Cause: I first became enamored with Be So True EP while turning my body-clock around to work a midnight-shift job, and no song reflected nocturnal summer evenings the way 'Soft Denial' does. Okay, your turn: confess a true tale that inspired one of the songs on Be So True EP.

MD: The song "Day We Met" actually holds a few different meanings for me, but it came from a time when I was in college persuing a life that I wasn't sure was the one I wanted (a life of debt). It's about realizing you can't have everything so you may as well focus on what you love first and foremost.

SCQ: If all the reasonable and implausible ideas in your head came to fruition in 2011, what would they be?

MD: The Monolith from 2001: A Space Odessey being found on the moon, and Universal Health Care.

No comments: