Tuesday, December 21, 2010

#3 Album Of 2010: "In Evening Air" - Future Islands









"In Evening Air"

Future Islands
Thrill Jockey Records.

Original SCQ Review

While introducing Future Islands for SCQ’s year-end interview series, I made casual mention of the trio’s “intoxicating mystique”. As soon as I’d written it, I knew I’d pinpointed precisely what crushes me about “In Evening Air” and the feeling it transmits directly into my brain and limbs. Like all vital post-punk, its tense rhythms make me long for the dancefloor while J. Gerrit Welmers’ vocal-earthquakes cause me to convulse with admiration. Its combined rush defies forethought and caution in favour of primal instincts – to dance and sing, to beat your chest and declare your love and loneliness. No record on the planet related to this urge better in 2010 than “In Evening Air”.

No comments: