Wednesday, January 27, 2010

5. Illinoise - Sufjan Stevens (2005)


I wish I could say that I caught the first wave of Illinoise-Fever but that wasn’t the case. In times of unwavering critical love, I usually step back from an album. Especially if said release is by a songwriter I’ve merely heard name-dropped, who has composed a twenty-two track, seventy-minute opus to a city I’ve never seen. Boy, if any record seemed in need of a niche audience, Illinoise should’ve been it. Thankfully a good friend of mine insisted one day that I pick up the headphones of a downtown Toronto listening station and hear ‘Casimir Pulaski Day’. Right then, I knew I’d wasted the last five months of my life. Yes, I even sought out an additional copy of Illinoise that bears that famed Superman controversy... an incredible record.

No comments: