Tuesday, December 15, 2009

#14 Album of 2009: Years (By One Thousand Fingertips) - Attack In Black







Years (By One Thousand Fingertips)

Attack in Black
Dinealone Records.


SCQ Album Review

From my earliest days as an EP-collector, I’ve always encouraged less tracks on a release. Ten is fine, nine is great; better to pack more ideas and time into less songs than the other way around. You know why? Less tracks give a band less opportunity to screw up and lose sight of the project. I need unity, cohesion! If I wanted a buffet of individual tid-bits, I’d have gone to the internet and made a podcast. Alas, somehow Attack In Black tightrope all sixteen songs on Years (By One Thousand Fingertips) without grinding my gears.

Moreover, these Welland boys use such scope to craft their best full-length yet, combining the bravery of their lo-fi The Curve of the Earth sensibilities with the commanding nature of their radio-rock-flirtation Marriage. A sprawling web of concise folk-rock, Years (By One Thousand Fingertips) proves Attack In Black to be one of the best Canadian bands going.

No comments: