Friday, December 11, 2009

Dub Tractor (SCQ's Year-End Questionnaire Part I)


Not only was I unaware that a new Dub Tractor album was coming out this past November, I had no idea how beautiful it would be. Truly, Sorry is an upgrade on the Dub Tractor sound in every way, delving into deeper songwriting and more resonant instrumentation. Anders Remmer takes a moment to satisfy SCQ’s curiosity with his favourite new artists and how he managed the recording of his latest record.

SCQ: What have been some of your favourite records of 2009? Gush away!


I’ve been listening a lot to the very inspiring minimal sounds of The xx.
And the dreamy music of Washed Out.

And of course the brilliant
2562: unbalance
Lukid: Foma

Earlier this year I spent a lot of time with this album:
Animal Collective: Merriweather Post Pavilion

But the most played album of 2009 must be Brian Eno: Thursday Afternoon. I just put it on repeat and play it as relaxing background music at low volume. That records really works to calm me down and get me back on track.

SCQ: Be it from the radio, lost on Myspace or from your roster, what songs could you not stop spinning?

Washed Out: 'Feel it all around'
Washed Out: 'Belong'
The Field: 'Everybodys gotta learn sometime'
King Midas Sound: 'One Ting' (Dabrye mix)

SCQ: Seldom celebrated but crucial to The Album’s identity is cover-art. Can you offer any shortlist of personal favourites from the past year?

Lukid: Foma
Animal Collective: Merriweather Post Pavilion
The xx: xx
Millie and Andrea: Vigilance
Lotus Plaza: The Floodlight Collective

SCQ: When you look back on what transpired this year, what will stand out as your most memorable professional moment(s) of 2009?

Well that must be the release of my Dub Tractor album Sorry. It’s the first time I’ve really had a go at singing real songs. Recording my own vocal was really a different kind of hard work. And since the concept was to do everything myself, I didn’t have a producer or any help. I sort of figured out how vocal production could be done as I went along.

And performing the tracks live has also been very special and exciting.

SCQ: Most of us probably haven’t thought as far as New Years Eve plans but still, looking forward, what do you have on the horizon for 2010?

Well I’m gonna play a bit live. And then start working with other musicians again. I have a few different musical projects in the pipeline.

No comments: