Monday, December 7, 2009

Red Box Recorder (SCQ Year-End Questionnaire Part V)


Net-labels were new to me this year and of the countless many out there, I’m grateful that Acroplane was the first one I became acquainted with. My interest quickly turned to infatuation with Colour Codes, the sophomore release by Red Box Recorder. Here, the man otherwise known as DJ Particlefusion (mysterious guy, as you can tell from the pic...) discloses his thoughts on the year and gives us a taste of what’s to come.

SCQ: What have been some of your favourite records of 2009? Gush away.

I thought Arecibo Message was Boxcutter's best album so far, completely great album. Er... I'm pretty crap at keeping up to date with music. I tend to listen to my own stuff more than anyone else's, which some people might consider a form of masturbation, I don't know. I'm generally about a year behind the trend. I only started listening to James Holden a month ago.

SCQ: Be it from the radio, lost on Myspace or from your roster, what song(s) could you not stop spinning?

I think the collaboration between Four Tet and Burial was disgustingly addictive to listen to. I've been caning 'The Soon Future' by Son Green recently too. He's an undiscovered myspace gem. If you can be bothered to wade through the cesspool you can find some amazing music online. It wasn't released in 2009 but 'C-Vex' by Frost Jockey should be banned. It's more addictive than smoking crack while having crystal meth injected into your eyeball. (I've never done that.)

SCQ: Seldom celebrated but crucial to The Album’s identity is cover-art. Can you offer any shortlist of personal favourites from the past year?

Er, Colour Codes by Red Box Recorder...? I wouldn't say 'seldom celebrated' was always the case. One thing that the shift towards digital music formats has done is made people forget about the packaging of the music. Clearly the music is the most important thing when it comes to an album, but the design and artwork add so much to the way the music is received and interpreted, and its a shame that more people aren't including PDF booklets in their digital releases. I reckon that will change, though. There's so much opportunity to be more creative on that front. Just because you haven't printed it doesn't make it any less valid.

SCQ: When you look back on what transpired this year, what will stand out as your most memorable professional moment(s) of 2009?

The release of Colour Codes, which was my second album. Got lots of really positive feedback from it and it's great to have it heard. If it weren't for labels like Acroplane those tracks would have just sat on my hard drive and gathered digital dust. And gun shots in the air to Max McLaughlin for doing the artwork.

Also playing my first live gig in October and having my soundcard break five minutes before I was due to start. I'm trying not to read into that too much...

SCQ: Most of us probably haven’t thought as far as New Years Eve plans but still, looking forward, what do you have on the horizon for 2010?

Cheryl Cole has been in touch about a possible collaboration, so fingers crossed for that. In the real world, however, i will be focusing on making better tunes and putting out some EPs of harsh, tasty beats. I've had a bit of interest from some small labels so we'll see where that goes. Labels have fondled me in the past but nothing has really developed. And gigs. Hopefully i'll play some more of those (and hopefully my soundcard will not break).

No comments: